You do not want your perfect vacation ruined by a mistake. You are not at home so need to be sure that you act with caution and think safety first. The following are some tips that you should read to help you think about safety in your travels.
- If you must bring jewellery, make it fake. You don’t need expensive pieces with you…..it is just something else to worry about and it could also attract the wrong kind of attention.
- Know the area you are visiting, for Canadians it is wise to check the government website for warnings Canadian Government Travel Advisories while US travelers should be checking their government site warnings US Government Travel Advisories for US citizens . Don’t be overconfident, a little pre-trip research can ensure you are well aware of any dangers or advice.
- Be extra alert when going out anywhere after dark regardless of the area.
- Separate your cash. We usually divide the cash into segments with each carrying some. We also put cash in a separate part from your id’s that way you could pull out money and offer to them without losing your ids as well. we put cash is two or more spots so that it may not all be seen at once when paying for something.
- We purchased a money belt and will sometimes wear that with our passports and some of the funds there.
- Hotel or cruise ship safes are another option. We have left money in the cruise ship one and always put our passports there while onboard however when we leave the ship we do leave some of the cash but take my passport.
- When travelling we always leave any unnecessary id’s, credit or bank cards at home and travel with only the bare minimum.
- We take scans of all our id’s and credit cards so that if stolen we can prove id and have the numbers to cancel cards.
- You should always carry some cash on you so that you have something to offer a robber, better to offer a bit of cash then face their wrath if they stop you and you have nothing, no need to make a bad situation worse.
- You could also carry a decoy wallet, one with just a bit of cash in it and no unreplaceable ids that you could give. Ensure the id’s and cards in it do not have identifying info on them like home address, phone number , Social insurance numbers, birthdate. Identity theft is a real thing and you do not want to supply any info that they could use.
- Knowledge of self-defense is something that might help if only for your peace of mind Self Defense Tips
- Stay alert to potential dangers, don’t let your guard down and trust your instincts.
- Travel with a group…..there is sometimes safety in numbers. A larger group is more daunting to a potential attacker.
We are not trying to scare someone but it is better to be prepared and to exercise caution so that you can have a wonderful trip.