Airports are not anyone’s choice of a fun time. Whether it is long lines, cranky travelers or expensive not so great food, there are some ways to help make your airport time pass by with the least hassle possible. With a bit of common sense and some pre-trip planning you can get through your airport stay a bit easier.
- Whenever possible travel when you are rested and have eaten, it makes your outlook better and you deal with the stresses of travel easier.
- Always download airport maps for any of the airports you will be using in case you need them and bring them with you. For instructions and link click here
- Wear comfortable clothes for travelling in, something you feel good about and that allows you to move easily.
- Review the rules of what you can’t take onboard. Every airline has them posted on their website. If it is prohibited don’t take it, otherwise you will lose it.
- We always carry a change of clothes in our carry on just in case luggage is delayed or lost.
- Whenever possible do your check in ahead of time online….this equals less time in lineups.
- Customize your luggage in some way. I have bought luggage straps that hook around the luggage. It serves two purposes, if the luggage should happen to get damaged it may help to keep it closed and keep your things inside. I have bought distinctive ones, one is lime green and the other is rainbow striped. This helps to make my luggage easy to spot on the belts.
- Weigh your checked luggage prior to entering the lines. Either weigh at home or purchase a digital hand scale.
- Wear shoes you can easily slip on and off for the security lines.
- Make sure you have your liquids in a one liter bag and your electronics handy. I pack them in a side pocket of my carry on or just on top of it so that you don’t hold up the line while you dig them out. Once I clear the security line I pack them where I feel they need to be for the travel.
- If you are checking in at the airport always take the line that is handiest to business class…..sometimes if they are not busy they will take the next person in the line handiest them, which makes that line move faster.
- When picking a line for passing through security , if you have a choice, it is helpful to pick to the left, since most people are right handed their natural instinct is to go right so the left lanes are often not as busy.
- To make it quicker when you head to the security line, remove any coat, blazer or sweater so you are ready to put them in the bins quicker. I also have our id and boarding pass ready to show. Having it out ahead of time avoids delaying the line.
- We always try to make sure we are carrying very little in our pockets and when you get to the security line empty your pockets and put in the bins with your coats.
- Remember you can’t take drinks through security, if you need a coffee or drink wait until you are through the checkpoint to make any purchase.
- Bring along a mini power bar with surge protection, there are not a ton of outlets at the airport and you could ask someone else if you could share theirs using the power bar or be the popular one who offers it to another.
- Eat before you go or bring snacks with you to avoid the high priced airport food.
Hope these little hints help you to have a wonderful trip.